Tuesday, June 05, 2007

RIT Dyeing & Tie-Dyeing

I read a post on Craftster.org about dyeing and cutting up t-shirts for yarn. It seemed like a fun idea and the pics looked great, so I tried it out too.

I used RIT's dark green and denim blue.

I also tried tie-dyeing. The green diaper was the first try, and the shirt was last. I took the rubber bands off the blue one too soon. It only looks this good in the flash, but in reality it's just blobby blue.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I got pretty good by the time I did his shirt. Too bad there wasn't much dye left in the pot.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is about what the blue one looks like, but the green one looks better (more like the previous photo).
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I dyed a lot of shirts. The procrastinator one I'm keeping for me. It was a hideous pale blue when I bought it, but now it's a beautiful dark denim-ish blue.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Closeup of the procrastinator shirt.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's more fun to dye shirts than to cut them up. It made my hands really sore! But now I have neato t-shirt yarn.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I wanted to make a bathrobe for the boy, but it might be too thick for it. I'm trying to make up my mind between that and a rug... also I want the colors to look good which means planning. Planning definitely slows me down when prepping a project.

2 comments:

Ginamonster said...

I SO want to weave a rug from old T Shirts. How did you get it so even? I am a bit afraid to start!

Lystessa said...

Uhhh, hehe, it's not really even. At all.
If you pull it lengthwise before winding (as Subloke recommends), it causes it to curl in on itself. I'm not sure how much my unevenness will affect gauge, but it's not too obvious when looking at the yarn.

Don't be afraid to start! Just grab a holey oldy if you're worried, and get cutting. Here's the link for the cutting directions:
http://hinzpired.wordpress.com/2007/03/17/cutting-up-a-t-shirt/

Personally, I didn't bother with the arms from the shirt.

This link was in the middle of the craftster topic, but I figure you might not want to dig through to find it.

Have fun!!
Lystessa