Saturday, June 02, 2007

Handspun Hat

My FIL has been encouraging my spinning habit at every opportunity. He bought me a wheel and an umbrella swift. And he buys me lots of roving (and some yarn too) whenever I'm in town. He even made me a beautiful and beautifully balanced top-whorl hand spindle. I've taken to calling him my "patron of the arts" (see, it's even funnier because "patron" means "father" and he's my FIL... oh nevermind).

So anyway, I thought about making him a hat a while back but I figured he probably had all the hats he needed because he lives in the mountains. But on this last trip he casually mentioned that he would like a hat... Yeah, I jumped all over that. He probably knows I'm crazy now. The monologue went something like this:

"A hat? You want a hat? I LOVE making hats! I'll make you a hat! I would have made you a hat a lot sooner if I had known you wanted a hat! Hats are great!"

Except I think I kept talking about it for about five more minutes. ;^)

I used the same handspun I had for my legwarmers, plus I carried a thread of the lambswool/angora blend sweater that I recycled to give it a little more stability.

P.S. - M, if you're reading this, you're still required to act surprised when I give it to you! ;^)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And yes, it is yet another That Chocolate's Gone Straight To Your Ribs Hat. Because you know I love it.

No comments: