Monday, June 25, 2007

Dyed To The Wine

I mixed some red and black to try and get a nice, dark, rich color. If I had left it in the dyepot long enough I might have succeeded. Yarn always looks SO dark when it's wet!

But it still came out a beautiful wine color. It is a little darker than the photos show. And I kept some dye from the dyebath so I can try it again later.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is a 70/30 merino/silk blend sockweight yarn I got from knitpicks. They've been really good to me, and I've thoroughly enjoyed their yarn. I just wish they would get some more plant fibers in their Bare line (ready-to-dye yarns).

2 comments:

geekette said...

Pretty color!

I used some leftover snippets of bamboo yarn to tie some sock yarn I was dyeing with the Knitpicks acid dye. It came out pretty (but pale) with yellows and reds, but blues didn't take at all. The stuff that was in the red section came out pink, the ties in the brown...orangey pink. Acid dyes and plant fibers don't play well together, but make for some interesting experiments!

Lystessa said...

Interestingly enough, soy silk will take acid dyes. It's made from the protein of the bean somehow, I think. I'm going to try spinning it someday.